Learning Program

The Recreational Pilot Licence is the first licence in CASA’s Flight Crew Licensing scheme and is designed by nature to be directly compatible with the Recreational Aviation Australia (RA-Aus) Pilot Certificate. We typically use the RPL to move students who wish to progress in their training (onto PPL, or CPL) as a “stepping stone” into General Aviation (GA) aircraft.

The overall difference between the RPL and Pilot Certificate is negligible, other than the fact that you can add additional endorsements such as Aerobatics to the RPL. You still need to complete navigation training to fly cross country and controlled airspace/controlled aerodrome endorsements to use those services; most students typically just progress straight through to the Private Pilot Licence.


  • Complete the training (both theoretical and practical) to the required standard and pass the RPL knowledge test.

  • Be at least 16 years old (the training can start before this age) to sit the flight test

  • Hold the appropriate medical certificate – generally a CASA Class 2 medical certificate or above

  • Be able to read, speak and understand the English language

  • Have at least 25 hours flying time, including a minimum of 20 hours dual and 5¬†hours as pilot in command.

Get in contact

Ready to take flight?

Your next step is to get in contact with us so we can setup a training platform tailored to you and your goals.

Get in contact